Tuesday, July 13, 2010

#8 Oven-BBQ'd Chicken

I used some Central Market bottled sauce I have on hand, but next time I'll probably use this recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

Sweet and Tangy sauce

1 cup ketchup
3 TBS cider vinegar
3 TBS light or mild molasses (dark is bitter)
2 TBS Finely grated onion
2 TBS worcestershire sauce
2 TBS dijon mustard
2 TBS maple syrup (real syrup if possible, not the pancake type)
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne

Whisk together and simmer of medium heat, stirring frequently until thick and glossy. The spoon should be able to leave a definite trail through sauce.


Chicken:

Preheat oven to 325F and move rack to top.

Heat 1 Tbs cooking oil in 12" oven safe skillet. Add boneless, skinless, chicken breasts to skillet. Cook 2 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until lightly browned (4 minutes). Add sauce and thickly coat chicken. Place skillet in oven on top rack and cook until meat thermometer reads 130F (8-12 minutes) in the meatiest part.

Remove skillet from oven, turn oven to broil (works best in a top broil oven) and heat for 5 minutes. Place back in oven and broil until meatiest part is 165F (3-8 minutes).

1 comment:

  1. I found that searing the chicken first made the sauce stick to it :)

    ReplyDelete