Saturday, August 20, 2011

Minestrone with Pesto

Here's the basic recipe form the cookbook. I didn't have any pesto, so I put in some fresh sweet basil from my herb garden. I used chicken stock, since I didn't have any vegetable stock. This recipe has a lots of prep work and only a short cooking time; it took me an hour total to finish cooking this.

3 TBS olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 Leek, sliced
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 celery rib, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 potatoes, peeled, and diced small (I used red skin)
6 1/4 cup of vegetable stock or hot water, or a combination of both
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp dried thyme, or one fresh sprig
3/4 cup peas, fresh or frozen
2-3 zucchini, finley chopped
3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
2 cups of cooked beans (cannellini or chickpeas)
3 TBS pesto
Parmesan cheese, finely grated

Heat the oil in soup pot. Add in onions and leeks; cook 5 minutes. Add carrots, celery and garlic and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add in potatoes and cook 2-3 minutes more.

Pour in broth and herbs. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10-12 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in peas if fresh and the zucchini. Simmer 5 minutes. Add frozen peas, if not using fresh. Cover pot and simmer 5-8 minutes or until potatoes are softened.

At 10 minutes before serving add in beans and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in pesto and serve with parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment